The programme is now open for applications
The Marches Building Investment Grant is a scheme part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund which is available to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) within the Herefordshire, Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin areas.
Capital grants are available for up to 45% of total eligible project costs (to a maximum £100,000) to reconfigure, extend and renovate premises for commercial use. Applicants can be owner-occupiers or tenants. Tenants must have a fixed-term lease with at least six years unexpired. Retrospective applications are not eligible and no work should start until written approval is received.
Eligible projects must lead to the creation of at least one full time equivalent job within four months of the building completion works and the overall total number of jobs created will be taken into account when assessing the level of grant awarded.
The grant is primarily available to businesses which trade with other businesses (B2B).
As a guide, generally the following activities are not eligible for grant support:
- Online retail or rental businesses.
- Businesses involved solely in the retail sale of goods. Businesses that provide services to both the general public and other businesses should discuss their potential eligibility with the project team.
- Restaurants, drinking establishments and fast food takeaways.
- Bed and Breakfasts/ hotel establishments
- Home-based businesses that mainly provide services or goods on a similar basis to classes A1 to A5
- Activities which require planning that fall the under the Use Class part A, C and D in the Town and Country Planning (use classes) order 1987 e.g. operate by providing services and/or goods to the consumer. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/9/change_of_use
- Agents or sub-contractors involved in the sale of goods / products to the public.
- Support for farm and farm diversification projects where the end use is agricultural or related to annex 1 (retail).
- Businesses in arrears with business rates or council tax payments (this will be checked if invited to proceed to next stage)
However, this list is not exhaustive and if you have any queries about the eligibility of your activity, please contact the programme team.
The key eligibility criteria for the scheme is that the building will be used for business purposes once the works are completed, and will create jobs. These grants are not available for conversion to/ refurbishment of residential property, or for buildings that will be for agricultural or horticultural purposes. If you are a farmer applying for a grant, please discuss your proposal with the Building Investment Grant Team at the earliest opportunity due to European restrictions with this funding for those involved in primary production and processing.
Grants are paid towards the costs directly associated with the conversion/alteration of a building. Funds are not available for purchasing the property, equipment, or ‘excessive’ landscaping (i.e. landscaping not specified in planning permission).
Contact – If you think your proposal may be eligible for funding please contact the Marches Building Investment programme team via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the team on (01432) 260662 or 260787
The Marches Building Investment Grant programme has been awarded £2.5 million of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth programme 2014-2020. The Department for Communities and Local Government is the managing authority for the ERDF. Established by the European Union, the ERDF helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth programme microsite.
For updates on other funding opportunities please visit Marches Growth Hub website or contact the dedicated business support hotline on 0345 6000727.