AHDB Cereals & Oilseeds Cultivations Day
Drill choice – Controlling crop establishment costs while maintaining soil health and crop yields
30th May 2018
1pm – 4pm (includes lunch)
at Lower Hope Farms, Ullingswick, Herefordshire, HR1 3JF
Hosted by Jack Hopkins, Lower Hope Farms.
The 730ha estate in North Herefordshire is on predominantly silty clay loam soils. Cropping includes wheat, barley, oilseed rape, spring oats and peas, plus grassland which supports a flock of 1,000 ewes and 25 pedigree Hereford cattle.
Independent soils specialists, Philip Wright and Kate Speke-Adams will be leading this farm tour where discussions will be based around the practical principles of cultivation choice and soil management.
Topics of discussion will include:
• Correct choice, use and setup of primary cultivation machinery
• Cultivation strategies to reach yield potential by enhancing crop rooting
• The role of cover crops in improving soil productivity
• The importance of building Soil Organic Matter
• Management of best performing land compared to poor performing land
• Traffic management and compaction
• The impact of cultivation strategies on weed burden
BASIS & NRoSO points have been applied for.
There will be a field walk so please bring suitable footwear.
Book on: Richard.email@example.com or 07717 493015